Sugar Creek: Greening Gardens Weekend Work Day
**Please note that masks are optional outdoors for all staff and volunteers. Please do not sign up to volunteer if you or anyone you are in contact with has symptoms and/or has tested positive for Covid-19**
MINORS: Please have a guardian sign a liability form prior to your shift.
The Wylde Center is an environmental education non-profit that actively engages youth, families, and individuals to promote health, community, sustainable urban living, organic gardening, and nutrition. Our mission is to cultivate vibrant greenspaces and inspire individuals to become stewards of nature through organized programs, classes, and events.
Sugar Creek our herb farm and garden in the Oakhurst neighborhood of Decatur offers many unique opportunities for digging in the dirt. We do everything from mulching to planting to weeding. Because gardening is so seasonally dependent, it is hard for us to predict exactly what we will be doing on each work day, but we can promise you some hard work and getting dirty!
- Closed-toe shoes are highly recommended. We also recommend that long hair be tied up and that loose jewelry not be worn. Please no heavy perfumes.
• Please apply sunblock and bug spray BEFORE arriving. We try to keep some on hand, but it is a good idea for your group to bring those items with you. Every person in your group must have a water bottle.
• If you are a group that needs to cancel less than 48 hours in advance, please call your site coordinator
• Pre-arranged groups of youth volunteers must have 1 adult to every 5 children
• Volunteers under the age of 18 must be signed in by a legal guardian. Please contact the site coordinator for a “Minor Release” form.
• If no one shows up to volunteer in the first 30 minutes, we may leave the site to attend to other things.
• Please remove yourself from the Hands On Atlanta sign up if you cannot make it (this will make sure there are open spots for those who wish to attend). Two no-shows and we will remove you from the ability to sign up for future opportunities.
• Court ordered service must be approved by the Volunteer Coordinator and offenses need to be disclosed. We are not currently accepting any violent offense. If necessary, volunteers may be subject to a background check. Please email email@example.com to disclose offenses and receive approval.
Our work is dependent on weather. If on your scheduled work day there is heavy rain, inclement weather (such as thunder, lightning, ice, snow), or the temperature is below 35° or above 94° we will cancel the workday. We also suggest that on “Orange Alert” days groups that may be affected reschedule their workdays.
Our staff is taking serious measures to ensure the safety of our volunteers, staff, and visitors. Staff and volunteers are required to wear a mask when on site, and are asked to bring a personal water bottle. Volunteers will be instructed on safety protocols when they arrive for their shift.
Age Minimum (with Adult): 12+, Minimum Age:16+, Court Ordered Volunteer - Allowed
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: