Log in with
Tree Planting in Brook Run Park (Dunwoody)
Make a difference and celebrate MLK Day by planting new trees in Brook Run Park in Dunwoody. We'll be adding new trees close to the new soccer fields. These trees will provide cleaner air, cool shade, and all around improved habitat for humans and wildlife living in our community. Planting tasks include digging holes with shovels/mattocks, untangling roots with your hands, mulching, watering, and cleaning up your area.
Trees Atlanta prioritizes the health and safety of our volunteers and staff. Volunteers must observe the following precautions:
- We highly recommend signing up with a partner with whom you feel comfortable sharing close space (a family member, roommate, or person in your small social group). Tree planting is more easily accomplished when working with a partner. If you register solo, you will need to work solo.
- You must bring your own face covering and wear it at all times. If you do not bring your own face covering, you will not be able to participate. Please bring multiple face coverings so that you can change it out as your mask gets sweaty or wet.
- Exercise social distancing of a minimum of 6 feet (please strive for 12 feet or more)
- Groups will be divided up into smaller groups of 15 or fewer to allow for more space between volunteers
- You must register prior to this event to ensure a spot and we are counting on you! If you can no longer attend, please cancel your registration as early as possible to allow for someone else to fill your spot.
- Please bring your own tools if you have them so that we can reduce tool sharing (suggested tools listed below).
- Additional personal hygiene requirements:
- Cover coughs and sneezes with elbows
- Refrain from touching one's face
- Wear hair up or wear a hat to reduce face touching
- If you experiencing any symptoms of COVID-19 or have been exposed to an individual with COVID-19, please stay home until you have completed your recommended quarantine
- If you feel ill during the volunteer project, please go home
- By volunteering at this project, you are participating on your own accord and accept possible risks associated with interacting with other people
- If at any time, any safety rules are not or cannot be followed, we will make adjustments to create a safer work environment, including ending the project early
Physical activity such as bending, lifting, and kneeling is required. Sign up a buddy to help you!
This project is open to all ages. Volunteers under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent/guardian. Tree planting can be physically challenging, and youth under 16 need much assistance from adults to dig the holes (you could hit roots, rocks, compacted soil, or all of these!). Young kids can participate by massaging the tree's root ball to loosen it, filling the holes back in, and mulching and watering the trees. Kids are really great at naming trees, too!
All volunteers must agree to Trees Atlanta's liability waiver upon arrival.
Projects happen rain or shine, so please check the weather beforehand and come prepared. We will cancel projects if inclement weather such as lightning occurs and is forecasted to persist for the duration of the project. Because weather is sometimes unpredictable, the decision to cancel is typically made at the project start time. We will contact you via email if we choose to cancel in advance.
What to wear and bring with you
Gloves and mask: You MUST bring your own cloth face covering and work gloves. Your face covering must cover nose to under your chin and you must wear it while working near other people. If you do not bring your own mask, you will not be able to volunteer on-site.
Recommended clothing: Long pants are recommended as you may be kneeling on the ground. All volunteers need closed-toed shoes or boots, clothes that can get dirty.
Tools: If you prefer to not share tools, please bring your own and label them with your name. Any of the following tools would be helpful: long-handled shovel, mattock, hand cultivator, pitchfork, hand pruners.
Drinking water: We strongly recommend you bring drinking water in reusable containers. No one-time-use plastic bottles, please.
You may also want: Sunscreen and bug spray as needed, snacks as needed (Trees Atlanta will not provide any of these items).
Age Minimum (with Adult): 1+, Minimum Age:18+, Court Ordered Volunteer - Allowed
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: