Age Minimum (with Adult): 14+, Minimum Age:18+
Edgewood Community Learning Garden: Locals Group (30307 + 30317)
This shift was created in order to give Edgewood and Kirkwood residents a greater opportunity to volunteer in the Edgewood Garden to foster a greater sense of community investment and increase access to local volunteer opportunities for these communities. If you are not a Kirkwood or Edgewood resident, we welcome you(!), and ask that you please use the general event link to sign up.
**Please note that all staff and volunteers are required to wear a mask while on site. Please bring a mask, and do not sign up to volunteer if you or anyone you are in contact with has symptoms and/or has tested positive for Covid-19**
The Wylde Center is an environmental education non-profit that actively engages youth, families, and individuals to promote health, community, sustainable urban living, organic gardening, and nutrition. Our mission is to cultivate vibrant greenspaces and inspire individuals to become stewards of nature through organized programs, classes, and events.
The Edgewood Community Learning Garden focuses on education and outreach. We have a free farm stand every Tuesday (during growing seasons), chickens, bees, and a community center where we host cooking programs for youth. Because gardening is so seasonally dependent, it is hard for us to predict exactly what we will be doing on each work day, but we can promise you some hard work and opportunities for digging in the dirt (mulching, planting, weeding, etc)! A few things to know...
- Closed-toe shoes are highly recommended. We also recommend that long hair be tied up and that loose jewelry not be worn. Please no heavy perfumes.
• Please apply sunblock and bug spray BEFORE arriving. We try to keep some on hand, but it is a good idea for your group to bring those items with you. Every person in your group must have a water bottle.
• If you are a group that needs to cancel less than 48 hours in advance, please call your site coordinator
• Pre-arranged groups of youth volunteers must have 1 adult to every 5 children
• Volunteers under the age of 18 must be signed in by a legal guardian. Please contact the site coordinator for a “Minor Release” form.
• If no one shows up to volunteer in the first 30 minutes, we may leave the site to attend to other things.
• Please remove yourself from the Hands On Atlanta sign up if you cannot make it (this will make sure there are open spots for those who wish to attend). Two no-shows and we will remove you from the ability to sign up for future opportunities.
• Court ordered service must be approved by the Volunteer Coordinator and offenses need to be disclosed. We are not currently accepting any violent offense. If necessary, volunteers may be subject to a background check. Please email Sarah Dasher at firstname.lastname@example.org to disclose offenses and receive approval.
Our work is dependent on weather. If on your scheduled work day there is heavy rain, inclement weather (such as thunder, lightning, ice, snow), or the temperature is below 35° or above 94° we will cancel the workday. We also suggest that on “Orange Alert” days groups that may be affected reschedule their workdays.
Our staff is taking serious measures to ensure the safety of our volunteers, staff, and visitors. Staff and volunteers are required to wear a mask when on site, and are asked to bring a personal water bottle. Volunteers will be instructed on safety protocols when they arrive for their shift.
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: