Urban Recipe: Distribution Pack & Prep
Who We Are: Originally serving as the Georgia Avenue Community Ministry (GACM), Urban Recipe is an outgrowth of a 1990 initiative of Georgia Avenue Church. Under the direction of the founder, Rev. Chad Hale, GACM was separately incorporated in 2001, the primary focus being the formation of food cooperatives for low-income families. Our particular “Urban Recipe” creates food security in a way that affirms dignity while at the same time providing a sense of support and community for our members.
What We Do: Urban Recipe Food Co-ops for low-income families provide a unique alternative to many traditional food-centered programs. Each individual or family becomes a member of a Co-op of up to 50 families that meets every two weeks. Members volunteer their time and energy to do most of what is necessary to unload, sort, organize and distribute food equitably and according to family size. Urban Recipe's co-ops create food security and provide a place to build relationships and affirm the dignity of everyone involved.
As our country and community continue to contend with COVID-19, we continue to operate our Mobile Pantry program as a response to the COVID-19 pandemic. To address the barriers it created for our co-op members and their communities, we assemble perishable and non-perishable food boxes for our Mobile Pantry partners with volunteers and host partner distributions at our 970 Jefferson Street location.
Our Mission: To partner with our members and supporters in creating food security, building community, and providing a platform for personal development while affirming dignity.
- This volunteer opportunity focuses on providing support for our Mobile Pantry program and co-op distributions. Volunteers will help assemble boxes, fill boxes with a balanced variety of food options, package boxes securely for distribution, and assist our organization in maintaining our distribution inventory.
- The slot you choose represents your expected time of arrival. We appreciate your punctuality. Your end time may differ up to 30 minutes from scheduled, so we thank you in advance for your flexibility.
- In following the recommendations of health officials and experts, we are only allowing volunteers between the ages of 10 and 16 with a guardian present. All other volunteers must be between 16 and 75; we appreciate all interest, but we need to prioritize the health of our volunteers. Volunteers are required to wear masks, which we can provide if need be, and practice social distancing. We will provide hand sanitizer and an area for handwashing.
Thank you for your help!
Age Minimum (with Adult): 10+, Minimum Age:18+
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: